FLUTE NETWORK RATINGS and ABBREVIATIONS
Whether buying or selling an instrument, it is important to be as objective as possible in describing the item concerned, AND to have something of a common vocabulary when talking to others about it. The following abbreviations and rating categories serve these purposes. All ads placed with the Flute Network will have both a condition rating, and an indication of how the seller prefers to handle shipping and insurance.
When advertising instruments for sale in the Flute Network, please refer to this condition guide and abbreviation system.
- FN-MINT: Perfect mechanical condition (no play in keys, all adjustments are correct, etc.); pads are clean, showing no wear; no scratches or dents.
- FN-EXCELLENT: Mechanically perfect; pads clean, show no wear, some tarnish and/or fingerprints but no obvious scratches or dents.
- FN-VERY GOOD: Mechanically perfect; pads show signs of use but no obvious leaks; some tarnish and/or fingerprints and some small scratches or dents.
- FN-GOOD: Some play in mechanism, some adjustments off, etc.; pads show signs of use but no obvious leaks; shows signs of serious use but o deep scratches or dents.
- FN-FAIR: Needs work on mechanism, pads, and/or finish.
- Never sold to a consumer; new as shipped by the manufacturer his/her representative. FN-NEW CANNOT BE ADVERTISED IN THE CLASSICAL SECTIONS.
- There are always exceptions to any set of standards. The above ratings would assume that the instrument is playable as is. Any exception should be clearly stated.
- Shipping and insurance costs to be split between buyer and seller.
- Seller pays all shipping and insurance costs.
- Buyer pays all shipping and insurance costs.
- Best offer.
Return to Flute Network Home Page
email@example.com. All text and graphics, Copyright © The Flute Network and others, 1996, 1997. All rights reserved.